Monday, November 10, 2008

Week of 03NOV - Election Week!


Monday - after spending most of the day cleaning the fungus/mold out of the computer lab at Liberty Lodge, I went in town to shop. It was my landlord's birthday, so I got her a couple of things. I also stopped by Todd's place, since he had been sick with the flu. I delivered his presents to my landlord (who had once been his host mom).
Tuesday - ELECTION DAY! We had our 1st basketball practice with 8 of the boys from the Liberty Lodge Boys Training Centre. Coach Vasher Adams came from the Ministry of Sports to assist in coaching.

The US Ambassador to Barbados put on a nice party for us at The Attic Jazz Club in Kingstown. Most of the Peace Corps Volunteers were there, and we were all very happy with the result. As so many people are saying, I am very proud of the USA, it's people and it's future government. We stayed up to 3AM to watch Obama's speech and to discuss all the implications.
Wednesday - Slept late, following election night. I continued cleaning up in the computer lab. Afterward, I went to the National Tennis Center with Mr. Akers to play tennis again. He has won all 3 matches we have played!
Thursday - I attended an HIV/AIDS training seminar at the Marion House in Kingstown. There were about 7 other PC Volunteers there. At one point, they broke us up into groups for a game of charades. Our group had to act out the words "orgasm" and "sex worker." It was so funny.
Friday - Day 2 of the HIV/AIDS training. Everyone had the opportunity to practice putting a female condom on a plastic replica of the special parts of a woman. We had a role playing activity in the afternoon. My group had to act out that I was the American love interest of a Vincentian man with a wife and 3 kids. It was hard to keep a straight face during it, but a couple said that we acted it out pretty well.
After class, some of us went to DLime for a drink. Then we went to Heritage Sq for some liming. I ran into many people that I knew. Eventually, the Canadians showed up, and we went to a bar. Their boss was there, who was really fun to talk to. I walked back up to Green Hill, as I didn't want to wait for a van (bus) that wasn't full.
Saturday - I hiked up to the top of Fenton Mountain (the 2nd highest mountain in Green Hill). I saw a couple of hummingbirds along the way. It is one of the most quiet and peaceful places I have been so far here in St. Vincent. I got a great view of the Caribbean Sea, the village of Green Hill, and Port Charlotte. I could even see the town of Villa in the distance. On my walk back, it started pouring like crazy, and I got completely soaked. It felt nice after the hike.
Chesley came by in the evening, and we watched videos on YouTube, such as Obama's 1st press conference and Skinny Fabulous' Carnival performane.
Sunday - I got ready to go to church with Eileen (my landlord), but she wasn't going due to issues with her kitchen tile installation. She made a nice Sunday lunch for us. After chilling out with Todd and Courtney for a while, I brought my AMERICAN football up to Liberty Lodge. I took 7 of the boys over to the Green Hill courts for a practice and a scrimmage. It went well for possibly their 1st introduction to American Football.
I tried to do some ironing, but I almost started an electrical fire! I think that my iron's wattage is way to high for my step-down transformer. Oh well, I'll just have to have wrinkly clothes for 2 years!