Tuesday, November 11, 2008

10NOV08 to 16NOV08 - Bequia

Monday - I rode the vans to Layou for a meeting with the Community Development Officers and some PC Volunteers. Since the Layou Resource Center was locked, we had to move to the Police Station's court room to hold the meeting.
Afterwards, I went grocery shopping. As is common in St. Vincent, I went to 3 different shops to get what I needed. And I only had about 5 things on my shopping list! Back at Liberty Lodge, I was able to complete the cleaning of the computer lab. It is now ready to be put back together on Tuesday!
Jarod came by my place, and we played American football in the street with Kerene and Kimberly. Then Uncle Ben conducted an exercise class for us in his driveway/roof. It was fun to see people's reaction as they walked by us. "Tantie" Stephanie gave me some fried (and roasted) breadfruit as I was leaving. It was my first chance to try it, and it was tasty.
Tuesday - In the morning, one of the boys at Liberty Lodge helped me put the computer lab back together. I brought 4 boys over to the Green Hill Hardcourt for basketball practice. The other coach didn't show up. I introduced them to the the game "pig." Afterwards, I played tennis with Mr. Akers. It was a difficult, but fun, 5 hour stretch of sports. Chesley called, and we went to a birthday party for one of the 4-H Club members. They had some nice carrot cake to celebrate, and also a candy called a tomato ball. One of her friends got really drunk, and the party ended abruptly.
Wednesday - Meeting w/SVGPLUS and Liberty Lodge Staff to discuss the Safe Health Practices project plan for the boys. 
Thursday - Went to Peace Corps Office to have meeting about applying for additional Peace Corps Response Volunteers in SVG. 
Friday - Noah came over and we talked about music for hours. 
Saturday - Took the morning ferry to Bequia with Noah, Shelby, Brandon, and Bethany. We checked into Keegan's Hotel, and went swimming. Then Kate and Dane had their wedding ceremony on Princess Margaret Beach. Then we went to a fancy bar, washed up back at the hotel, then headed into "town." We had Mexican food at Tommy's Cantina. My first taste of Mexican food in months...luckily there are plenty of delicious food options in St. Vincent. Then we went to the Salty Dog to celebrate the wedding and Todd's birthday. At the end of the night, I ended up sleeping on a cushion on the floor next to a window, since all the beds were taken. Everytime it rained during the night, water kept dripping on me. 
Sunday - Took the early morning ferry back to Kingstown after waking around Bequia for a while. Upon returning, I noticed that Foodcity was open on a Sunday, so I did some grocery shopping. I was not able to get a van back up to Green Hill, so I had to lug my groceries up the hill. I had a nice lunch with Eileen and family, and then took it easy the rest of the afternoon. The GHSCC meeting I was supposed to go to ended up being cancelled.