Friday, October 31, 2008

Week of 10/27 - My Radio Debut

Monday - Went to the Independence Day Parade at Victoria Park with Noah and Laird. Saw Kim playing sax with the Royal Police Band. Afterwards, I saw him driving the big Police Band bus.
Tuesday - Had lunch at Ras Ital - all sorts of good things (corn polenta, chunks, rice, lentils, beans), plus Peanut Punch. Met with the coaches at the Ministry of Sports to plan for the Liberty Lodge Boys Training Centre's sports program.
Wednesday - Went on Nice Radio's Peace Corps Show. Todd and Mollie interviewed me about my background and what I am doing with Peace Corps. They played cheesy pop music in the background during the interview (such as Mr. Wendell, Bon Jovi and Backstreet Boys.) I walked up to Green Hill from town for the 6th straight day. Played Tennis with Mr. Akers at the National Tennis center in Calliaqua/Villa. Made macaroni and sweet potato soup with okra (ochro). Eileen brought down some freshly made cherry juice for me (nothing like American cherries). Yum yum.
Thursday - Attended Youth Awards at French's House. They had a steel pan duo play for us, including Bob Marley's "Redemption Song". They also had a group from Rose Hall play a couple of songs on Djembe drums.
Friday - Villaween Party at Laird + Paula's place. I went as a cricket player (has anyone heard of Freddie Flintoff??). There were many great costumes (considering you can't buy them here), including Sarah Palin, a jumbi (ghost), a van, a van conductor, and bottles of Piton and Hairoun beer. We had brownies, candy, taco dip, and cake for Shannon's birthday. We also bobbed for apples, which might be the 1st time I have ever done that.
Saturday - Swam to Fort Duvernette and Young Island with Steve, Shannon, and Laird. It was the longest swim I have ever done in my life. When we got to Fort Duvernette, we hiked to the top for an amazing 360 degree-view. I spent the afternoon relaxing with Paula, Laird and some of the kids who live near them.
Went to New Montrose graveyard to see the candle lights for All-Saints Day. Then we made a late night stop at Aunt Jobe's supermarket. I waited for a long time for a van, gave up, and did the hike up to Green Hill.
Sunday - I had a nice lazy day in Green Hill.