Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Gokyo to Dragnag

-Woke up at 4 AM to get ready to hike Gokyo Ri (5360m, 17580ft, 51% Oxygen). Sherpa Lakpa w0ke up 30 min late. Had toast w/PB + Jam. Still a bit dark when started hiking. Had 1st view of Mt. Everest/Chomolungma/Sagarmatha (8850m, 29,035 ft). Towards the top, I watched the sun rise directly over Everest. Approaching the top, I had such an amazing view of the mountains, Dudh Pokhari Lake, and the Ngozumpa Glacier (remnants); I shed a tear. I thought about all my wonderful family and friends that I have, which propelled me up to the 17,580 foot summit.
-At the summit, I could see 4 of the 6 highest mountains in the world. #1 Everest, #4 Lhotse (8511m, 27597ft), #5 Makalu (8463m, 27758 ft), #6 Cho Oyu (8201m, 26899ft). Met Justin from LA and Ceasar from Brazil (Holbrook, MA). A bird perched right next to me, and let me take several photos.
-Saw Derek on the way back down, and also the Seattle couple.
-Relaxed at the Namaste Lodge, had some momos; when leaving, the proprietor asked me for my address, and she gave me a hotel flyer and some free biscuits (expired).
-Hiked back along the lakes to the trail to Cho La Pass. Hiked through the Ngozumpa Glacier. Mostly, grey stones, like the moon. There was a large sand dune in the middle of the glacier area. -Arrived in Dragnag (4700m) and checked into the Chola Pass Resort. Met many people, including the girls who I saw jump into the Gokyo Lake earlier in the day. Took a water basin "shower."
The weather was warmer than any other place on the trek so far.
-Nice macaroni w/veggies for dinner. As I brushed my teeth near the yaks, snow was falling.

No comments: