Sunday, September 7, 2008

Week of 9/1 - PST Begins

9/1 Walked w/ Kim to get bus to 1st day of PST training. Received bug net and
medical kit. After training, Kim picked me up. I took a nap, then we talked on the
porch. I showed them photos. We made callaloo with chunks, green sauce, ketchup,
veggies, garlic, onion, and rice. We watched Enemy of the state together.
9/2 Shaved, showered, and headed down to town on van. Opened bank account at RBTT,
and saw many other PCV's there. We walked around the shops, and then to the waterfront. A few went to lunch, and the rest of us walked down to the ferry/cruise liner port. We saw Cheslie from Green Hill. We got maps and brochures from the Ministry of Tourism.
Took a van back up to Green Hill Plan. Had leftover callaloo. Kerene came home while I was playing some harmonica. We went down to Todd's to pump up the football. We all
went down to the football (soccer) field to play some American football. Many of the
local kids joined us. Afterwards, by the small library, Lovie came up in a van very
worried about Kerene and I, since I did not answer my US cell phone. We assured her
that we were fine all along, and she headed back to work. Keon showed me a little
bit about cricket batting. We walked back up to the house. I started a load of
laundry. I went by Todd's place to use the internet, then back up to the house. I
had chips (french fries) then a peanut butter sandwich for dinner. I then hung all
my wet clothes out on the line in the dark, with Angel barking at me.
9/3 PST at the Adult Education Unit on Middle St. After class, several of us went to
an internet cafe. I then shopped around for hangers, tissues, a sharpie, and some q
-tips. I ran into Kim at the bus terminal. I took the van back up. I played dominoes
with Kerene. I had some spicy chunks w/rice for a late lunch. I exercised as Kerene
tried to imitate me. I shaved, while Kerene was enthralled by my laptop. I had cup
of instant rice for dinner with a glass of sugary fruit drink. Read my Dalai Lama
book as I waited for Todd's radio show. His show never came on...perhaps I had the
wrong station on.
9/4 Lovie walked me to the Liberty Lodge Boys Training Center. Met Mr. Othniel
Browne, who introduced me to the other staff members and gave me a tour of the
campus. I spent a couple of hours in the computer lab, getting the interned up and
running, and getting a couple of the computers to work. Walked back home. Had
avocado (zaboca) and veggie sandwich. Made "Callaloo Cook-Up" with Lovie and Auntie Katy. Asked about the vans and taxis. Walked around Green Hill to do community mapping. Went to Kim's parents' house and had some 5-finger juice (starfruit). They picked some passion fruit for us, and gave us a breadfruit. Stopped at Todd's and saw Cheslie and Jaron. Walked home, met Renica (Lovie's sister). Jaron followed us. Went back to Todd's to skype the family. Back home to eat the callaloo. Played cards with Kerene.
9/5 Walked to Kingstown after not being able to find a van. Had some great bread
pudding made by Steve and Shannon. Learned some Vincy Dialect. Had a panel
discussion with the EC77 volunteers. Went to Lime Bar in Heritage Sq. w/many other
volunteers (EC78, Todd, Molly, Molly, Katie, Kate, Dane, Marco, Amy, Lara, Laura,
Brendon. ) Met Laird from Canada. We took part in the Lime in Heritage Sq. Had some
Richie's Fries, saw Kim, listened to Soca and Reggae blasting through the speakers.
Went back up to GH w/Todd. I heated up some callaloo and watched Office Space and
some Simpsons.
9/6 Went to PC Office for EAP meeting. Took van back up to GH. Todd, Kim, Kerene,
Kerry, and I drove up towards Mt. St. Andrews. we hiked to the top. On the way back
down, we had some plum rose. When we got home, we had some some chunks with
breadfruit and dumpling (wheat flour). Did some exercising. Watched The Matrix.
9/7 Watched The Matrix Reloaded. Finished drawing my community map. Had lunch -
blackeyed peas with rice, carrot, and baked beans. Walked to Todd's to see if the
Pat's game was on, but only the Texans v. Steelers was on. Chesley came by, and we
jogged down to the catholic church. Todd and Chesley kept jogging, while I rested my
knees. A drunk guy accused me of being from the CIA. We hiked back up to GH, as Kim
drove by us. Watched highlights of the Patriots victory, checked my email. Todd gave
me some freshly picked avocado to bring home. Had some leftovers from lunch for
dinner.