Friday, May 2, 2008

Darjeeling, India

-Joyride on the Himalayan Toy Train, after failing to exchange my Nepali Rupees for Indian Rupees. The toy train stopped at Batasia Loop/War Memorial/Eco Garden; then at Ghoom. The conductor said I didn't have enough time to walk to the Yiga-Choling Monastery and back, but I made it easily! But it was closed!
-On the ride back, the train de-railed near a gas station, next to some potentially unauthorized road construction. The workers used 2 old railroad ties and a rusted piece of old train track to slowly pry the train car back on to the tracks!
-Went to the Post Office, which was closed for parcels, but open for other business I guess. Ended up at a clothes shop to have them box up my stuff, cover it in cloth, sew it shut, and seal it in wax. The shop also had a full Mate set from Argentina. They exchanged my Nepali Rupees for me. I went back to the India Post Office, but they wouldn't send my package till the next day.
-Watched beautiful sunset at Glenary's while sipping Tea Darjeeling.
-Met up with Iftekhar and his Bangledesh friends. Shopped around the Mall Streets.
-Called Peace Corps to discuss vegetarianism and an IT opportunity instead of the Water Sanitization opportunity. The call cost me over 600 Rupees!

No comments: