Monday, December 10, 2007

Mt. Fuji

We took the trains to the Kawaguchiko area near Mt. Fuji. This is a beautiful mountain region, with lakes and close access to Mt. Fuji. Since the mountain was covered with snow with risk of avalanche, I was unable to hike it. I'll have to go to Japan in the summer next time!
-For lunch, we tried the local specialty called hoto. This is an egg-flavored broth with udon noodles, tofu, and various local vegetables. It was not my favorite thing by far. We then took a cable car ride up part of Mt. Tenjo. We hiked to the top to get a great view of Mt. Fuji, right at sunset. We also had a great view of Lake Kawaguchiko.

-For dinner, we had some great curry at Alibaba Restaurant. After dinner, we headed back to the ryokan. I changed into my yukata, the traditional Japanese robe, and headed up to the top floor to the onsen (bath). I took a shower seated on one of the little stools, and then went into the bath. It was so soothing. The next morning, I took another bath there, since there was a great view of Mt. Fuji outside the window.

No comments: